How to set up sign-up form, with custom fields

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
DruS185
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

How to set up sign-up form, with custom fields

Post by DruS185 »

This feels harder than it needs to be. Maybe there is a step-to-step guide to setting up a sign-up form. I didn't think it was necessary to make a submission form from sign-up form, but it could make sense, though I now can't confirm the form is working.

I need to create a gift certificate submission form so participants can submit their initial details. The form is at actionshopping.com/submit.

I figured out how to add custom fields. But when I tested the form in a different browser, hitting submit went to a general page, nothing was sent to the email address I used, no contact was added to the system.

How can I learn how this is supposed to work???
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How to set up sign-up form, with custom fields

Post by JohnB »

I took a look at your site, and everything is set up correctly.

The sign-up boxes require every input be filled out. If a field is left empty, it will redirect you to info-signup with an error asking you to fill in the missing fields.

Please let me know if that is not the issue.
Rtaylor2185

Post by Rtaylor2185 »

Hi Dru. I'm been working on the same issue. Here's a video that describes how to create a sign-ip box.
youtu.be/aPILlDRFLwQ

To test a new sign-up box: Once you've made a sign-up box, copy the resulting code (shows up in the next page after you click SAVE) into your webpage. Save the page, refresh it and see if your form shows up.

When you run the form in your webpage (fill it out and submit it), the new contact name and info will appear in APWTs in your Dashboard.

Hope that helps,

~ Ric
DruS185

Post by DruS185 »

JohnB wrote:The sign-up boxes require every input be filled out. If a field is left empty, it will redirect you to info-signup with an error asking you to fill in the missing fields.
JohnB, thanks for your response.

Going to the info-signup.php is NOT a good option. I don't know how to make that work. Currently, it seems to be a complete mistake, as one has to scroll down to even see those error messages. And then the form is repeated twice for some reason. These may be design fixes...

I will mention a couple other things in my next response.
DruS185

Post by DruS185 »

Rtaylor2185 wrote:Here's a video that describes how to create a sign-ip box.
youtu.be/aPILlDRFLwQ
Thanks for sharing that! However, through trial and error I learned the points that were demonstrated.

1) How is the automatic email to the submitter controlled, as to what it says? Alluded to in the video but not covered.
2) I ran into the same issue where the Tag was not required the first time I saved, only the second. I don't know if this thwarts the form from working initially.
3) While I agree wholeheartedly that simpler forms have a higher completion rate, not allowing optional fields is bad. I'm not interested in my submitters maintaining a profile or needing to log in to continue providing other information.

Again, thanks for your input. Perhaps you have dealt with these deeper issues and have more advice.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

1) In order to send an email response after a sign-up box is filled out, you must have the email marketing webtool. You would create an email campaign, and set the trigger to "Fill Out Sign-Up Box" then when creating the sign-up box itself, you would select the email campaign you would like to be sent to people who fill out the box under the "campaign" option.

2) The tag automatically tags contacts as they come into the CRM, not having this set should not cause an issue.

3) Unfortunately our sign-up boxes do not have optional inputs and require every field be filled out.

4) In regards to the error message on info-signup, what exactly would you like to be able to do, and I'll see if I can help you achieve that.
DruS185

Post by DruS185 »

JohnB wrote:4) In regards to the error message on info-signup, what exactly would you like to be able to do, and I'll see if I can help you achieve that.
Can it just stay on the original page instead of going to info-signup? Maybe this would be more of an AJAX submission.
Paige
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Paige »

Dru, this is an excellent idea! Great minds think alike, we are already planning on including this feature in the near future.

For now a way around this is to set your sign up box to Location = External Site. This will give you the raw code to manipulate. You can put the HTML5 attribute on the inputs to prevent form submission on modern browsers. This also allows you to change the inputs between: text, textarea, and select fields as long a you retain the unique name="" of the input.
DruS185

Post by DruS185 »

It takes a while to get back into be able to leave a reply... I'm back.

Setting up the auto response for the signup form. Didn't realize there might be some kind of required Mandrill set up until I tripped upon it on YouTube. The video is for 2.0. Still, as I wasn't able to successfully receive an email, I tried to set up a Mandrill account and copy the attributes over to APWT. Still getting a message: WARNING: You must set your DNS so that your MX record is set to XXXX.com

My nameservers at GoDaddy are set to the ones you provideded, so I don't think I can set MX at GoDaddy now. What do I do?
Paige
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Paige »

We only require a SMTP server for sending out scheduled emails, if you are just using the sign-up box it is not necessary.

The only setting that matter to the Mandrill setup is the information on the SMTP Settings tab, the MX record warning is to enable you to setup your personal email inboxes on our server.