FTP Access Setup

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Squeegeeguy2536
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

FTP Access Setup

Post by Squeegeeguy2536 »

Hey everybody,

I am trying to start adding custom gifs and videos to my forthcoming site, and I'd like to get FTP access set up.

I saw the online training video about FTP access, and I understand that you need to 'start' the FTP session through the 'Administrator' option in the 'Settings' tab. This is done, but I'm guessing I need login information for my FTP client, correct? Was I supposed to receive this information somewhere, or is it just my username and password that I use to log in to my dashboard? If so, what other information do I need to supply? '

Thanks!

-Denny
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: FTP Access Setup

Post by JohnB »

Hello Denny,

At AllProWebTools, we believe you don't need to have technical skills to be able to manage your website. For that reason, FTP access is typically only given to individuals who we are working with to create custom themes.

If you go to "Webiste->Manage Images & Files" you will be able to upload your .gifs and any other file you would like. Then you can go to your webpage editor and insert those .gifs directly into your page. I think you will find you will be able to achieve what you want without having to bother with FTP access.

Please let me know if you need any other help getting this accomplished!
Squeegeeguy2536

Hey John,

What is the max file size available, using your upload tools? It seems like I'm not allowed to upload a video of 130 MB. That seems like a limitation of the service, if the max video size I'm able to embed is 100 MB or something.

How about jquery? I'm trying to add some code as well, but obviously I'll need to have a jquery.js file loaded in as well (into the same directory as my HTML file), to make my gifs load on mouseover, for example. Am I able to upload those more custom types of files as well? Or am I able to put my jquery code directly into the html head tag, maybe?
Squeegeeguy2536

Update: I'd still like to know more about upload limits. Maybe the Youtube embedder feature is the workaround, but I would like to know what features the local video embedder provides that the youtube one does not.

As for my .gif related issue: you are technically correct - I was able to figure out a way around the problem. I added jquery code into my header with id tags that I can call up whenever I want to replace the still image with the .gif on mouseover.

However, that means I'm putting jquery code directly into my HTML, instead of a dedicated .js file, which I would prefer to keep things cleaner and to help with the browser cache.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

The upload limit is 200 MB. Please try again and let us know if you are still having difficulties.

I wanted to let you know, that if you upload enough files, you will be charged for storage over 1GB. For that reason, I would recommend using the Youtube embedder, since Youtube does not charge you for storage.

Also, jQuery is already included in your website, so there is no reason to need to upload the jQuery files.
Squeegeeguy2536

Well, I guess I'll just keep using the head tag for custom jquery code.

Follow up question now: If I decide to change themes, will that overwrite the html doc, thereby deleting all my code?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

If you go to "Settings->Administrator" all of the files under Theme Editor, except "Edit Custom Layouts", will be overwritten if you choose to change themes.

If you do decide to change themes, please be aware of this and make sure you can copy over whatever you need.
Squeegeeguy2536

Thanks for the clarification.

One last question: at this point, I have uploaded about 4 themes to my site to try. Will the themes I'm not using effect load times? If so, is there a way to delete unused themes?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

The extra themes will not affect the load time of your website. There is no need to worry about that.

There is not a way to remove themes that you have uploaded and are not using, but as I said, they do not affect your load time.
Dave
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Dave »

As of version 4.3 - you can now delete themes with the red button that shows up next to each theme.