Variations

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Cfisher2118
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Variations

Post by Cfisher2118 »

How do I turn off variations for a Product? I played around with it for Product ID # 1022 (MT-8500), since I am adding a new color option for this product. But it messed things up with the shopping cart, undoubtedly because I have customized the code, which is fine. I will do this another way. But I can't get rid of the variations, and now if I click on the Product link in the shopping cart page for this product, the link is redirected to the home page, meaning that it no longer recognizes the page URL.
Kathlein
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Variations

Post by Kathlein »

I'd be happy to help! Below are instructions on how you can add additional color options to your variation product:
  1. First, you can try editing the product that is not a variation yet, then go to the Variations tab
  2. Once there, under the panel titled "Variation Options" click on the "+" button (this is the only way to get to the variation options editor)
  3. This will take you to the variations options editor, and you can find the set of variations options that was used with the variation product you want to add to (in your case, the option set that was used to turn 1022 product into a variation product)
  4. Click on the name of the option set, and add the new color option you wish to add (let's say it's green)
  5. Now, you can to create the green version of product 1022. The easiest way to do this:
    1. You can go to edit product 1022 and go to the Variations tab.
    2. This will list of the child products of product 1022, you can choose one of them and click on the Edit button.
    3. Once you've opened the child product, you can click on the drop down next to the Save button and select "Copy Product"
    4. Once the product has been copied, you can change any details about the product you need, such as changing the name to reflect the new color choice
  6. Now you can add the new product (the new green product) to the existing variation choices of product 1022
    1. While on your new product (the new green product) go to the Variations tab again, and under the panel titled "Add to Existing Variation" you should be able to select the product 1022 (product 1022 must be set to "Public" to be able to select it here, if it is set to "Private" it will not appear)
    2. The panel will now display the variation option set with a drop down of all the options that do not already exist for product 1022 (this should be the "green" option they just added)
    3. Select "green" from this drop down, and click Add
  7. This will add a new color option to their variation product 1022.

You can also delete product 1022 and recreate the entire product. This would involve creating a new mother product (you could copy product 1022 using the drop down next to the Save button, as it will not copy the variation children), then editing the variation option set like in steps 2-4 from above, then creating the variation. You can create a variation product by going to the Variations tab, going to the panel titled "Variation Options," selecting the name of the option set you would like to use, and clicking Add Variation. In your case you will only be using one option set (colors), so then you can click on Create Variations.

Some other notes:

Your product 1022 is currently set to private, so that would cause the issue you described with the link going back to the home page
If you delete and recreate, any links that you have placed throughout the website to that product would need to be updated to the new URL path.

I hope this information was helpful! Please let me know if this worked for you.
Cfisher2118

Post by Cfisher2118 »

Hi Kathlein. I have all my products set to Private, only because I never had a reason to mess with it. I don't know if this was a setting when I first set up all my products. Anyway, none of my other products have this issue, despite all being set to private. Even when I set this product to Public, it does the same thing. Is deleting the product and start over the only way to get rid of variations for that product?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Hello,

It sounds as if you have 2 issues here:
  1. The product link from the shopping cart is not working properly
  2. You are trying to add an additional color option to your variation
In regards to the shopping cart link and the Public/Private status of your products:

Changing a products status to "Private" will typically prevent the product from being visible on the website. However, it looks that in your case you are not using the typically "Stores" page that AllProWebTools provides, and you have a custom store page where your products are listed, linked and formatted in a custom way for your site (there is nothing wrong with this, but will require you to update links and information manually when you make changes to your products). For this reason, switching between "Public" and "Private" for your products will not have the same effect as it does for most users.

That being said, I am not sure what link you are talking about in the Shopping Cart that is not working properly. Can you describe exactly where that link is located on the shopping cart? Or if you can provide a screenshot, that would be great as well. You could also start a Support Screenshare to show us the issue if you like.

Now, in regards to the variations:

Once a variation product is created (product 1022 in your case), it can not be undone. This is due to the complexity of how variation products are intertwined with each other. So yes, deleting the product is the only way to get rid of the variations.

However, in your fist post it sounded as if you simply wanted to add another color option. Kathlein posted instructions on how you could add an additional variation option to your product, and I would be happy to clarify any piece of those instructions if they were confusing in any way.

So, if you could clarify what link from the Shopping Cart is giving you an issue, and let me know if you have any issues editing your variation product, I would be happy to help more! And feel free to start a Support Screenshare if you would like so we can look at your screen together and discuss the issue!