Need help changing name of Product Variation

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Need help changing name of Product Variation

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hello,

I have a product with four variations, and there is a typo in the sidebar where someone goes to choose the variation that they want. I need to edit the words, but I have no idea where it is coming from, as when i look in the back end in the products and in the product variations, everything is correct in the back end, but not on the front end. How can I make this fix?

Also, about the variations, is there anyway to style the options on the front-end better - to make them look like buttons with a hover effect?

Let me know if you need any more information from me.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Need help changing name of Product Variation

Post by JohnB »

Could you provide a link to the product page to show me what you are talking about?
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Sure I'm going to email the link to the support email then
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Thank you for sending that link!

So the variation options that display on the side that you can select from are not determined by the product name, they are determined by the name of the options that were used to create the variation. You can not simply change what that option says, but there are 2 ways of fixing this.

First, would be to edit this set of variation options, to add the correct option name. Then you will need to create a product to add to this variation mother product. Once the correct variation child product is added, the old, incorrect variation child product can be deleted. This post includes instructions on how you can add a new variation child product to the existing variation mother product.

Second, would be to simply delete this variation product, and recreate it entirely with a newly create set of variation options that has the correct option names.

To answer your other question about styling, you can use the following css selector in your stylesheet to style how the option selects look:

Code: Select all

span.choose-variation{
  /*css here*/
} 
You can also use the pseudo-class :hover with the selector above to add additional styling whenever a mouse is hovered over it.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Thanks John! I will look into these options.

I was also able to edit the hover effects around the variations on the product page, thanks for your help on that!
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hi John,

So I am just now realizing a very time consuming aspect about this, in relation to my website.

First, I am having trouble adding a new product to an existing variation. I followed Kathlein's instructions in the link you provided to copy the product and go to variations and go to the 'Add To existing variations' box, it says 'This product already has all variation options filled.'

Do you know why this is? Is it because the product I'm trying to add to the variation has the same name as a product in the variation already?

I absolutely do not want to delete and recreate these variations, as these variations are all membership products, and there are close to 100 member only pages that I would need to go in and manually re-add the new product to over 100 pages. I suppose I need to do this by copying this product and making a new variation. Is there any way at all that the copied product can be automatically already tied to the member only pages that the product is attached to?

OR - is there absolutely no easy way to simply rename the product as it appears on the product variation page? I literally just need to change one number and this could cause close to an hour's worth of work if I need to manually re-add the product to every single membership page that I have.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

You will be seeing the "This product already has all variation options filled." message because you first need to create an additional option in the variation set, so that there is room to add a new variation product. This is what the first 4 steps of Kat's post refers to:
  1. First, you can try editing a product that is not a variation yet, then go to the Variations tab
  2. Once there, under the panel titled "Variation Options" click on the "+" button (this is the only way to get to the variation options editor)
  3. This will take you to the variations options editor, and you can find the set of variations options that was used with the variation product you want to add to (in your case, the option set that was used to turn 1022 product into a variation product)
  4. Click on the name of the option set, and add the new color option you wish to add (let's say it's green)
Once you add an additional option choice to the set of variations (with the correct name), you will be able to add an additional variation child product to the variation mother product.

What you will be doing is creating a new option that says "251+" and adding a new variation product to fill in that option. Then you will delete the product with the incorrect option that says "250+" but you need to start by editing the set of variation options that was used to create the variation product in the first place, which is what the above steps are talking about. This video may help:

Otherwise, the only other option would be to completely recreate the variation product.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

So there is nothing I can do about the membership piece? I am going to need to manually add the correct product back to every single membership page?

And there really, truly, is absolutely no other way to change the name of the variation as it shows up in the sidebar? Is there no code I can go into to edit... nothing? If so.. can there please be an easy way to do this in the future?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

I have been thinking about your dilemma, and I believe there may be a way for you to be able to edit the name of the variation option without having to create a new product. Assuming you have not yet deleted the existing variation child product that we have been discussing, this would allow you to change the name in the sidebar of the product webpage, and maintain the same product Id, so that you will not have to change the membership options for each membership page.

So, it you have not yet deleted the variation child product, (or even if you have, we can probably restore it without issue), please hang tight while I look into a possible solution for you! I'll update the forum when I have more information!
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Cool, thanks John!

Nope, I haven't deleted the product or the variation, and I have not completed the steps in your previous post/the video you sent over. So if you come up with a solution, let me know, that would be great, thanks a lot!
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

We were able to create the ability for you to edit a Variation Option Name within an existing Variation Option Set.

First, you need to get to the Variation Options Set editor, by clicking on a product to edit (it has to be a product that is not yet a variation product), going to the Variations tab, and clicking on the + button in the "Variation Options" panel.

Once there, you can click on the name of the Variation Option Set you need to edit, and then you will be able to click on each Option Name, and edit it as necessary.

This will change how the Option Name appears in the side bar of the product page.

Please let me know if you are still not able to edit these option names!
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

John,

Yes, this solution did work - but not at the same time. I completely see how it works and I see where to edit the name of the variation... but now it won't let me save the name I want it to be, which is "Group Membership 251+ Employees"

The issue here is with the '+', it claims that I'm not allowed to have that in the name of the variation, yet it is currently part of the name of the variation, so I don't know why its stopping me from making the change. The warning message that comes up reads:

Whoops! Input should contain alphabetic letters, numbers, and the characters <strong>!@#$%^&*()_-+{}:<>?./~</strong> only. [JAB09-1095]

I am able to see the < strong> tags as well, just to point that out.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for pointing this out!

It has been corrected, and you should be able to save it now. Let me know if you still can't save it for any reason.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Yes, this worked!!

Thanks so much with your help on this!! Much appreciated.