How to point a domain at website?

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Jamie979
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

How to point a domain at website?

Post by Jamie979 »

Hi, I am just starting to use the system so I may have missed it somewhere but didn't find it when I looked around.

I want to point a domain at my APWT website. Usually that requires two parts:1) an IP address to point the DNS A record to, and 2) tell the webserver to accept the domain and what website to display when a browser asks for www.domain.com.

I found a help page that showed the topic "Configure Your Website in Minutes" but there was no information about it on the page.

Thanks
Paige
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How to point a domain at website?

Post by Paige »

Good question!

How it works is you tell us what the domain is, we tell you the IP address to configure it to. Then when you are ready we can move your site over to the new domain.

We do all the heavy lifting, all you need to do is change your DNS A Record.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

*Resurrects long-dead thread for need of clarification on its instructions*

How does one go about changing the DNS A record? At the moment, my website is pointed to the apwt.domainname version of my site, and now that my site's ready to launch, I want to put my own domain name in as the URL. But when I tried to change the A record to my own URL, it wouldn't let me because "81054: A CNAME already exists with that host.,"

Should I delete or change the CNAME?

And is the IP address they've already put in to point the site to the apwt version correct for this purpose, or will I also need to change that?

Thanks in advance. :)
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Hello Stephanie!

We will be sending a form to you in email that we ask you to fill out and send back, and then your site will be up and live within an hour! That's all you will have to do.

Keep an eye out for an email from us!
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Thank you very much, John! I'll keep an eye out for that email.

Also, I wanted to apologize for not seeing last Wednesday's voice message until Sunday. My phone normally tells me when I have a voice message, but for some reason it suddenly quit doing that over the past week, so even though I checked it daily, I didn't see the message until I went into my notification history. All the more reason to quit using that cell for business purposes. -_-