Memberships via invoice

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Tim3081
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Memberships via invoice

Post by Tim3081 »

We have a client that wants to pay their monthly reoccurring bill via check instead of on a card. I think what will happen is I'll create the invoice today on the 14th, the client will send a check in the mail, we'll receive it by the 21st, enter it as paid, and then the membership will double quantity and set the next billing invoice to send out 30 days from paid date (21st), rather then the 14th of each month. Can you shed some light on whether your system can support something like that without a bunch of manual edits of quantities and dates?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Memberships via invoice

Post by JohnB »

In your scenario, you are correct in that the next invoice will be created 30 days after the payment date (the 21st) and would need to be edited under Reports->Sales->Memberships.

However I do not see why their membership quantity would double. If you are creating an invoice for a new customer, their membership will not be activated until the invoice is marked as paid, so once the invoice is marked as paid, then that customer should have a single membership. Or is this an existing customer changing their payment method?
Tim3081

Post by Tim3081 »

When their next payment comes up, doesn't successfully charge (because there's no CC on file to charge), it'll show up as inactive under Memberships. When we receive the payment, enter in the check number it'll create a 2nd membership that's now active and it'll double the quantity of the new active membership. That's how it's always worked with Credit Cards when someone's payment fails to go through and we pay their original invoice with a new card number, I'm assuming it'll do the same thing with a check?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Alright, thank you for the details about that. We'll look into what is happening with the membership quantity there, and work to come up with some way to improve how the billing cycle is managed for you and update this forum when we have more information for you.
Tim3081

Post by Tim3081 »

Thanks John, appreciate your quick help!
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

I just learned there is a setting under Settings->Store under the Membership tab that will solve your quantity issue.

In these membership settings, make sure "Limit to one membership" is set to "Yes" and this will prevent the situation you are describing. When the order is marked as paid, if limited to one membership, it will update the customers membership to be active. If this "Limit to one membership" is set to "No," then it will create a new membership, just as you described earlier.

So just make sure this is set to "Yes" and that should solve the quantity issue for you!
Tim3081

Post by Tim3081 »

What about our customer that we host multiple quantities of a product for, for example 10 email boxes, will that be allowed if that is selected as limit one?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

If you have the following 2 settings:
  1. "Membership Behavior" set to "Quantity Creates Different Memberships"
  2. "Limit to one membership" set to "Yes"
then you can have a customer with 10 email boxes, and the scenario described earlier will keep their quantity at 10, and not double it to 20.

We also updated it so that when you pay an old membership order, it will change the "Next Charge" date according to the old "Next Charge" date (the date the old invoice was created) plus the number or days it is meant to recur. I believe this will address the issues you mentioned earlier about the charge date.

Please let me know if there are still issues, or if you have any more questions!