BOunced emails

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Dgalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

BOunced emails

Post by Dgalassi1792 »

Hi!

We're having a client's emails bounced when we send an email to the CRM connection - and the email service is going through SendGrid. We were under the impression that bounced emails were automatically removed (unsubscribed) from the emails lists so that we don't continue to bounce those emails. What should we expect to happen?

Thank you for helping us understand this process.

Donna Galassi
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: BOunced emails

Post by JohnB »

When an email bounces, AllProWebTools will mark that email as invalid, and you should see a symbol next to the email address of the CRM record stating that it is invalid.

If this is not the case, could you please provide me with some detail about which AllProWebTools account and the contact id that this is happening on?
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Re: Bounced emails

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hi John,

I would like some more clarity on what happens when an email address 'bounces'.

First of all, When I go to look at a contact who's email address has bounced, I do see that there is a little red 'crossed out' icon next to their email address, and when I hover over the icon, words pop up that say 'Not Valid'.

So what exactly does this mean? Does this mean that the system will now know not to ever send an email to that contact, even if that contact is still tagged in multiple tags?

Also, all of this information is not easy to find - meaning that you need to go into each individual email to see the number of bounces, then you can click to see which of those email addresses bounced when it sent - that is all okay (but could be better)
But, as APWT is used as a CRM, what I would really like to see is a separate page that lists out all the email addresses that bounced, along with the DATE in which they were bounced, the EMAIL they were sent when that email address bounced and so forth... so a database that has all of this info.

This is all just confusing me quite a bit, and it's hard for me to even explain where this confusion is coming from.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Yes, an email marked as invalid (for example, after a bounced email) will not be sent to even if that contact is still marked in the tags.

If you go to Contacts->View All under the Filter button, you can select "Unsubscribed" or "Invalid Email" to view a list of those contacts. In this case you would choose "Invalid Email."

You can also go to Reports->Email Reports and view which email has the highest number of Unsubscribes. From there you can click on the email name to look at that individual email to see when it was last sent, and which contacts specifically unsubscribed upon receiving that email.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Okay thanks for clarifying all of this, John.

I honestly always forget that the 'reports' section even exists - I never go into there as, to me, it just makes sense to have all of the information about 'emails' under the 'emails' tab rather than in it's own section. But I'll try to start looking in that area now for all of this.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Alright John... bear with me here please.

I am attaching a screenshot in which everything I'm mentioning will refer to the data in that image.

First - the bounces. In this particular email, there are 1573 bounces. So - what exactly does that mean? Does this mean that these are 1573 newly bounced emails, or does this mean that these emails were marked as 'invalid' in the past, and so they are 'bouncing'... but not sending out? Or... is it a combination of the two? Either way, it does not seem right that this email had 1573 newly bounced emails - but if they were marked as 'invalid' in the past, then I don't think that that data should be populating in this field, so there should be a different filed marked as 'invalid' emails for emails marked as invalid in the past so it doesn't muddle up that 'bounced' emails field - if it is working in that way, that is.

This is why I would really, really like to know the DATE in which an email address was marked as invalid. Also, all of the different places that you pointed out earlier (Filtering on the 'All Contacts'; the Email Reports section)... those display good information, but it all seems kinda disconnected to me. There needs to be more information to this - or the information should be better organized, or something. It's just that when there is 1500 bounced email addresses for one singular email - going about trying to figure out what email addresses are newly bounced and which ones were bounced in the past is extremely difficult/impossible.

Basically... we just need help to interpret exactly where the number in the 'bounced' emails section is coming from, and what exactly that is telling us about that email.

Second - I am once again referring to the 'carts' section of the image. In this image, there are 34 'carts'. However... we do not see any recent purchases made from those carts, AND we do not see any abandoned cart notifications from this as well. So essentially... to us, it seems like the 34 carts are like 'ghost carts'... they never existed to begin with. In the other thread where you mentioned this, you said:

"This doesn't have to happen immediately after clicking the link, so if you clicked the link in the email, then created a shopping cart with items later that day, that would be included in that number."

But, once again... we are not seeing any info anywhere about any of those carts besides in this email.... so what is going on here?
Attachments
Carts-APWT2.png
Carts-APWT2.png (22.43 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

The first thing I would like to point out is it looks like this account is not using APWT-SMTP, so if something seems off with these statistics, you can also check the statistics reported by whatever SMTP provider you are using. The statistics reported in this box will be mostly accurate, but they depend on communication from your SMTP provider, so they will have the most accurate statistics.

As for bounces, AllProWebTools will not attempt to send to an invalid email, so when you schedule an email to send to a tag, you are only scheduling and sending it to the valid, subscribed email addresses in that tag. So the bounces are email addresses that bounced from this send, which means that email address was considered valid when the email was sent.

I also noted in this post that an abandoned cart notification doesn't happen until the buyer logs in. With the Carts statistic from the email, the buyer does not necessarily need to be logged in.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

John,

Thanks for your reply, and for clarifying the bounced emails section in the email stats. I believe that this is all making sense now, but I'll reply again if I have any more questions.