Add tags to all contacts at once (none have tags at the moment)

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Joseph4348
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Add tags to all contacts at once (none have tags at the moment)

Post by Joseph4348 »

I accidentally deleted the tag on all my contacts. Now, since none have a tag, I can't add any of them to a campaign. How do I add a tag to all the contacts at the same time instead of doing it one contact at a time?
Natasha326
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Re: Mass Update contacts - add tags to all contacts at once (none have tags at the moment)

Post by Natasha326 »

Hey Joseph,
Yes you can tag all of your contacts at the same time!

First you can download the list of your contacts by going to the "Settings" then "Import/Export"
Click on page number under the "Download Contacts"
download.png
download.png (26.61 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Once you have your CSV file, You can create a new tag by going to "Contacts" then click "Manage Tag" then you can put in the tag name and click the plus sign to create the tag.

Finally we will upload this contacts into a tag here's video showing you how:

Joseph4348

Re: Mass Update contacts - add tags to all contacts at once (none have tags at the moment)

Post by Joseph4348 »

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate that info but I already know how to add the tag on 'new' contacts I am adding by importing contacts. Let me re-phrase my question:

"Can I mass add a new tag to contacts that are already on my contacts list that currently have no tag?" I'm aware I can do it one by one and I am aware I can add a tag to new imports.

My situation is, I imported a list with a tag. Then I removed the tag from all of my contacts. Now several contacts ~300 have no tags.

Thanks in advance for your response!
Dave
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Dave »

If the contacts are in the system now with no tag - there is no way to reference them.

The suggestion is to go back to the original CSV file (from when they were originally uploaded) and just re-import the list and choose the tag that you want.

Re-importing the same list does not create any duplicate records.
Joseph4348

Re: Add tags to all contacts at once (none have tags at the moment)

Post by Joseph4348 »

Ok cool, so it will 're-tag' with whatever I put on the re-import record for any of those contacts? Will give that a go. Thank you
Joseph4348

Post by Joseph4348 »

Just a heads up this did not work when re-importing the same list. I re-imported as instructed and posted with a different tag. It didn't add any new tags to any of the records.
Tommie326
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Tommie326 »

After you've selected your tag, on Step 4 select your CSV file that you are re-importing and then check the box that states "Tag Existing Records." Should look something like this:
Check Tag Existing Records Box.png
Check Tag Existing Records Box.png (29.14 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Once checked, go ahead and hit the "Preview" button and complete the import as usually. The system will still state the contacts already exist and that 0 (zero) contacts have been imported.
You can confirm they have been tagged by spot checking random names in your list.