Does marking a notification complete send an email to the client?

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Does marking a notification complete send an email to the client?

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

I just marked some of my notifications complete, and wound up getting a couple emails saying my order has shipped. That being the case, I have a few questions:

1. Does the system automatically send out emails to the clients when I mark a notification complete, as seems to be the case?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, how do I kill this feature with fire, so I can mark notifications as read/complete without sending superfluous emails?

3. If the answer to #1 is yes, why is there no warning to the APWT user that they're about to accidentally send an email just by marking a notification as "read"? No other system I know of causes emails to be sent when people mark things as read, so I had no way of knowing this would be the result of me marking items complete, and I might have just accidentally sent some "your order has shipped" emails to clients who bought things from me YEARS ago. Needless to say, this will probably make me look bad, and might result in spam complaints or worried/angry emails if what I think just happened happened.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Does marking a notification complete send an email to the client?

Post by Dave »

Hi Stephanie!

I am not sure what you are referring to with "notifications", but looking at your dashboard I see several instances where a shipping confirmation email was sent . The shipping confirmation email setting can be found by going to "Store" on the main menu and then select "Shipping Manager" there you will see a slide switch labeled "Send Email When Marked Shipped:" If this switch is in the right position and green in color, this means that shipping confirmation emails will be sent to your customers. You can switch it to the left to turn off the shipping confirmation emails.
Screenshot from 2023-05-02 07-20-50.png
Screenshot from 2023-05-02 07-20-50.png (29.55 KiB) Viewed 879 times
I would like to take this opportunity to notify you that a new version of AllProWebTools has been completed and we are ready to upgrade your account. This new version addresses some of the issues you have reported regarding default font settings. It also includes a new file manager. We have done our best to test this new version thourgouhly, it has also been in use by hundreds of AllProWebTools users for the past month. We are not currently aware of any issues, but it is possible that you may experience a few hiccups after your account is upgraded. This is because there are so many different configurations of AllProWebTools as no 2 users use it in the same way.

Please let us know your preferred day for the upgrade that will have the least impact on your customers and will also allow you time to verify that your account is still working properly. Our development team will be watching for any reports of critical issues that have unintended consequences - so your feedback on this forum will be appreciated.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Re: Does marking a notification complete send an email to the client?

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Hi, Dave,

Sorry for the late reply; it was a full week.

Here are some images to show what I mean by "notifications."
How I got to APWT's notifications page.png
How I got to APWT's notifications page.png (271.56 KiB) Viewed 871 times
The APWT notifications I clicked, not expecting it to send emails.png
The APWT notifications I clicked, not expecting it to send emails.png (223.76 KiB) Viewed 871 times
They look a lot like notifications in social media, which one can mark as "read" without notifying anyone of that action, so I didn't expect them to perform ANY actions besides deleting the notification, never mind sending an email I never authorized to my clients.

Thanks for the instructions for turning off the shipping confirmation emails. I'm glad there's a way to do that on my end, but some warning on the notifications page itself would've been nice; I never would've guessed that I'd have to go into the "Shipping Manager" page to adjust the settings for my "Notifications" page.

This is one thing that stresses me out a bit about APWT; there are so many ways it can send things to my customers, or direct my customers to things, without me intentionally introducing those elements into the customer journey. IMO, the system sending info to my customers (whether it's emails, pages they're redirected to, items appearing in the sidebar of the store, etc.) should be opt-in, not opt-out. And it would be nice if the system made it more obvious to me when it was going to send info in response to an action on my or the client's part, as well as where to edit that info. As it is, there have been times when I've set up stuff like a follow-up sequence for a product purchase, only to find out that the system automatically sent out emails I'd never asked it to send in response to a purchase.

Maybe it would help if the system included a bit more of an automated guided tour, showing the user how to set up each element and all the elements related to it (e.g. here's where you set up and brand your shopping cart, here's how to add a product, here's how to edit the emails that are automatically sent after the customer buys, here's how to edit the "thanks for buying page, etc.), and showing what all pages and messages will be automatically presented to the customer. I'll understand if something so labor-intensive isn't a high priority, but that would be one way to give the user fewer surprises when it comes to APWT initiating unauthorized interactions with its users' clients.

Thanks for letting me know about the upgrade! Not having to wrestle APWT into using my desired font would be a welcome change. Monday the 8th would work; I'm planning to make some adjustments to my site on the 9th, so that will give me a chance to test the changes.